Monday, August 27, 2007

Younger Brothers Are Great!

Our third son will be starting Kindergarten tomorrow. Over the weekend, I took all of the boys to Target to buy school supplies. Our third son did not have a backpack, so I purchased a nice one with lots of pockets for his stuff. When we got in the car to go home, he said that he wanted a blue one instead of the nice new green one that I had just purchased. His older brother, our second, quickly jumped in and said, "I'll trade you." Our second son has an old blue backpack, of course. The younger brother was very happy to have his older brother's blue backpack. I tried to talk him out of it, but both brothers were quite satisfied with the trade and the situation.

Sometimes, as a parent, even though I think a situation may be a bit unfair, I have to remember that they think differently at their age. Who am I to question the happiness of one older brother receiving an unexpected NEW backpack, while one younger brother rejoicing in getting his older brother's much admired OLD blue backpack.

Younger brothers are great!

No comments: