Friday, June 22, 2007

Freaks on Vacation

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day vacation in Seattle and Vancouver, BC. We travelled with our 4 boys (yes, 4 boys!) by flying up to Seattle and driving the rest of the way to Vancouver. It was one of the first times that we traveled with all 4 boys (ages 9, 7, 5 and 1 year). Imagine the look on people's faces as we got on the plane at Southwest Airlines. No one wanted to make eye contact with us in fear that we would sit our 4 boys next to them on the flight.

I came from a family of 4 children, but growing up in the 60's and 70's, I never felt that people were starring at us whenever we went out. That was certainly not the case this week. My wife and I felt like freaks with two heads, the way everyone starred at us as we walked through airports, restaurants, hotel lobbies... Can it be true that having 1 or 2 children is cute, but having 4 or more is outrageous in these modern times?

It is good to be home in the old neighborhood, where the novelty of us having 4 boys has long worn off and we can just go about our ways (two-heads and all) without hardly a notice.

No comments: